How Dangerous Is PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A?
PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) that has been detected to be associated with Price Gong adware. As a matter of fact, it is a set of program that gear the advertising platform and that help dodge automatic removal when endless pop-ups appear. It is not a virus at all. But with potentially harmful properties, PUP has been created to describe this group. So what are the potentially harmful properties? You may want to take a glance at the below list:
- PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A employs BHO, Applet and Script technologies.
- Backdoor program is attached to the program for the analysis of collected information so as to improve more aggressive and effective product promotion.
- Plenty of ads issued by PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A could distract CPU away from security service.
Do not ever consider the odd PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A being captured is slim. One should be well informed that only sites with poor content and loose structure need such aggressive and irritating way for product promotion. Bugs can be easily found out of those sites. If unfortunately that the computer equipped with PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A is taken to a site out of which a bug has been exploited by infections, the target machine will be affected undoubtedly.
- In-text letters will be underlined with hyperlinks directing to random ad sites.
- Computer becomes painfully slow with endless pop ups.
- Some victims might not be able to open browser harassed by PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A or anything for that matter.
- Up to 2.16 GB of the 4 GB of Memory RAM is shown as being used in Task Manager before dropping back to about 1.03GB when 'idyling.'
- Additional web applications might be detected to install onto the target machine without authorization.
- Browser might crash unreasonably when staying on several web pages for quite a while.
Effective Thread to Remove PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A
As PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A is not technically virus, anti-virus programs are not able to take it down and help stop the endless pop-ups. Therefore, manual removal method is recommended. Below is the instruction to follow up. Any help request will be answered if you live chat with senior technician from a recommended PC Technology Support Center.
Step ⅠRun full scan with reputable anti-virus program again, try to remove any possible items.
Step ⅡShow hidden files and folders.
- Windows 8
- Windows 7/XP/Vista
When done, access the following directories and remove the given items.
Step Ⅲ Go to Regedit and manage database there.
- Windows 8
b. charms bar appears
c. click Search charm
d. type ‘regedit’/‘regedit.exe’ and hit Enter key
e. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE＼SOFTWARE＼Microsoft＼Windows＼Curren Version, HKEY_CURRENT_USER＼Software＼Microsoft＼Windows＼CurrentVersion and HKEY_CURRENT_USER＼Software＼Microsoft＼Windows＼CurrentVersion＼Explorer＼Shell Folders Startup="C:＼windows＼start menu＼programs＼startup respectively; find suspicious key value started with “Run” and delete accordingly.
f. remove c:\users\[username]\appdata\locallow\pricegong
- Windows 7/XP/Vista
b. launch Run/ Search box
c. type ‘regedit’
d. hit Enter key
e. the same...
PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A is an application to support advertising platform to execute aggressive promotion. By harassing a browser, the application is capable of intercepting as much traffic as possible without competing with other operators fairly. With BHO, Applet and Script technologies, PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A manages to get to know users’ preference and adjust advertised products accordingly in an attempt to promote sales/business. It is these features that help PUP.Optional.PriceGong.A to attract online operators. The more operators want to advertise there, the more money its backstage author will get. Finally, I would like to kindly remind you that complete removal is required to prevent from its return. Should you encounter incurred problems, access virus reservoir to get solutions accordingly; or as alternative, live chat for quick fix.
PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) – Wikipedia
Other PUP.Optional Applications You Might Want to Know about