Why Can’t Uninstall Ask Toolbar
From the complaints gathered by VilmaTech Research Lab, the below methods have been told to fail in uninstalling Ask toolbar:
- The box next to ask toolbar in Extensions will not be unchecked.
- Uninstall ask toolbar from Control Panel triggers error message telling all browser windows must be closed for the uninstall process to work when all browser windows were closed already.
- Uninstall ask toolbar by ending its running process in Task Manager still gets error message when continue to uninstall it.
- Tried to remove ask toolbar’s add-on in IE find no its indication there.
- Run full scan by anti-virus programs find nothing.
Such BHO is powered to access DOM (Document Object Model) of current page and to control navigation. By doing so, it manages to help publisher to intercept traffic for better promotion and record browsing patterns for provision of contents alluring to targets. So, ask toolbar is not technically a virus, it is no more than a commercial tool programmed with suspicious techniques.
Why Need to Uninstall Ask Toolbar
It is highly recommended to uninstall BHO like ask toolbar though itself is not virulent infection at all. Ask toolbar introduces visible changes to browser interface, which makes it easy for malicious coders to conceal the actions of its add-on. Plus BHO performs further actions without requires permission in most cases, which gives cyber criminals who write virus big chance to use BHO such as ask toolbar to install scripts contained a number of vicious orders to be performed such as adding and deleting registry values, downloading additional executable files, hijacking system processes and the like without advising targets.
accrediting computer company and continue to uninstall ask toolbar.
Latest Instruction to Uninstall Ask Toolbar from Windows and Max OS X
One - Remove the keys and values produced by Ask toolbar from Registry Editor.
There’s no Registry Editor. In Max OS X, which makes it a safer OS nowadays.
- Hold Win key and R key together to put “regedit” in.
- Hit Enter key to access Registry Editor.
- When in, navigate to the following entries and remove items accordingly.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\ask toolbar
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\[random numbers]
HKLM\SOFTWARE\[browser name, such as Internet Explorer and Google Chrome]\Extensions [random numbers]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\ask toolbar
Two – Enter into System Service and end ask toolbar’s service.
- Access Windows Explorer window from Start screen.
- Select Administrative tools thereafter to double click on Services icon.
- Remove/disable the service named Ask toolbar to uninstall it.
- Hold Win key and R key again to type “services.msc”.
- Hit Enter key to enable the services window.
- Remove/disable the service named Ask toolbar to uninstall Ask toolbar.
- Spread Finder menu on the bar attached on the top of screen.
- Place mouse on “Services” to enable option list.
- Select “Services Preferences”.
- Tap “Services” on the left pane and locate Ask toolbar on the right.
- Uncheck the box next to Ask toolbar to end its service.
Three – End ask toolbar running processes.
- Hold Ctrl+Alt+Del key combination together to bring up Task Manager.
- Hit Process tab to find corresponding running process.
- Press “Disable” to end ask toolbar’s process.
- Type ‘Task’ on Start screen to enable Task Manager window.
- Hit Process tab to find corresponding running process.
- Press “Disable All” button to end ask toolbar’s process.
- Press on the Apple icon on the left top chart to bring up an option list.
- Click once on “Force Quit” to bring up its window.
- Select Ask toolbar to press on force quit button.
Four – Uninstall ask toolbar from browser settings by resetting browser settings.
Tools menu -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Restore Defaults button -> OK button.
Firefox button -> Help -> Troubleshooting information -> ‘Reset Firefox’.
‘Customize and Control Google Chrome’ menu -> ‘Options’ -> ‘Under the Hood’ -> ‘Reset to Defaults’ button.
- Show hidden files and folders:
Windows Explorer -> View tab -> tick ‘File name extensions’ and ‘Hidden items’ options -> “OK” button.
‘Control Panel’ -> ‘Folder Options’ -> View tab -> tick ‘Show hidden files and folders and non-tick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)’ -> ‘OK’ button.
Finder -> Utilities folder -> terminal to copy and paste “defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES” -> return button -> hold ‘alt’ key and right click on the Finder icon at once -> Relaunch button.
- Navigate to "C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\".
- Remove Operapref.ini file to unveil all hidden items.
Safari menu -> ‘Reset Safari’ -> tick all given options -> ‘Reset’ button.
Five - Uninstall ask toolbar from Control Panel.
“Unpin” button -> choose ‘Control Panel’ -> "Programs and Features" -> uninstall ask toolbar.
Start menu -> Control Panel -> “Add/Remove Programs” -> uninstall ask toolbar.
- Apple menu -> “System Preferences” -> uninstall ask toolbar from Dock and Display respectively.
- Click on Finder launchpad icon on the task bar -> tap “Applications” on the left pane -> find ask toolbar on the right pane -> press on it and move it to dustbin.
Ask toolbar is a commercial tool to help with broader promotion. Yet, as a BHO, ask toolbar can be easily exploited by aggressive infections like Cryptolocker. What’s more, random modifications in Registry Editor would make the overall security weaken a bit. Ask toolbar needs to be uninstall for just to regain better browsing experience as wide range of PC users ask.