- Why anti-virus program will not remove www_getwindowinfo?
- Effective Solution
- What www_getwindowinfo serves for?
- How www_getwindowinfo spreads?
Anti-virus Program Doesn’t Remove www_getwindowinfo.com
People get scary when seeing www_getwindowinfo.com (the recent emergence) hijacking homepage without permission and it does not display the content. People thus could habitually consider it as virus and thus run the anti-virus program for removal. When it fails, people get scarier as they would thus take it as an advanced virus that manages to dodge automatic removal.
The fact is just on the contrary. www_getwindowinfo.com is no more than a browser hijacker and the industry would call it as PUP (potentially unwanted program) due to the troubles thereof:
- PC performance is slowed down.
- Page-loading speed is also degraded.
- Additional web applications will be detected to install on the machine without permission.
- Other infections might be detected before long.
Potential Dangers from www_getwindowinfo.com
Judging from the interface, it can be easily told that www_getwindowinfo.com does not own a strict structure, which is true according to Global PC Support Center. As a consequence, bug will be readily exploited by infections embedded on the Internet. Also, there are plenty of browser hijackers alive on the Internet, which indicates several facts that:
- it is easy for online operators with certain level of techniques to create PUP.
- PUP has been taken as a quick way to make money and most operator do focus on money only without the conscious of making a brand name, thus they will make a big deal over www_getwindowinfo.com.
Solution to www_getwindowinfo.com – Manual Removal Thread
Depending on the Operating System installed, the images, directories displayed in this document might differ from what you observe when following these instructions on your computer. This is why certain level of computer skills and knowledge is required to carry out the above offered steps.
1. Reset browser settings.
Tools menu > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Restore Defaults button > OK.
Firefox button > Help > Troubleshooting information > ‘Reset Firefox’ button.
‘Customize and Control Google Chrome’ menu > ‘Options’ > ‘Under the Hood’ > ‘Reset to Defaults’ button.
Show hidden files and folders (explicit instruction shown in Step2) > navigate to "C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\" > remove Operapref.ini.
Safari menu > ‘Reset Safari’ > tick all given options > ‘Reset’ button.
2. Remove all the Temp files under the following directories.
Click open ‘Control Panel’ > search for ‘Folder Options’ > tap View tab > tick ‘Show hidden files and folders' and non-tick 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)’.
Start screen > open any folder > open Windows Explorer > select View tab > Tick ‘File name extensions’ and ‘Hidden items’ options.
navigate to the following directories and remove all the files and folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File
Mac OS X
Finder > Utilities folder > terminal:
|access Macs Terminal|
cd ~/Library/Logsand press Return button.
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Safari/Downloads.plistand press Return button.
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*
3. Manage start up items top www_getwindowinfo.com from popping up randomly and automatically by using in-built utility.
Start Menu -> select ‘Run’ -> type ‘MSCONFIG’ -> tap Startup tab -> find www_getwindowinfo.com > press ‘Disable all’.
Start screen > type ‘Task’ > tap Startup tab > find www_getwindowinfo.com > press ‘Disable’.
Mac OS X
Apple icon > 'System Preference' > 'Users & Groups'> choose the user account that is harassed by www_getwindowinfo.com > locate the right pane > tick the related items generated according to directories > hit on minus icon.
4. End www_getwindowinfo.co's service to disable the item.
Win+R key combination > “services.msc” > Enter key > services window > remove/disable the service of www_getwindowinfo.
Windows Explorer > Administrative tools > Services icon > remove/disable the service of www_getwindowinfo.
Mac OS X
Finder menu >“Services” > “Services Preferences” >“Services” on the left pane > locate www_getwindowinfo (or the service created on the day when it was firstly detected) on the right > non-tick the box.
Purpose of www_getwindowinfo.com
By frequently hijacking your browser, www_getwindowinfo.com manages to intercept huge traffic without knowledge. With the traffic, the PUP is capable of:
- directing traffic to its partners’ site for money.
- Enhancing PageRank of other products for more CTR and thus promote business.
- Convincing online operators to advertise on the platform made by the same creator.
www_getwindowinfo.com’s Dissemination Routine
Apps are always on for today’s people. Bundling with apps/programs is one of the quick ways to get exposed to as many people as possible. As a web application, propagating via other web applications is another major way for its dissemination. All in all, drive-by download from apps and web apps should draw attention from PC users. Thus always giving priority to custom installation method is highly recommended all the time.