|VilmaTech Onlione Support and this website|
should not be mistakenly taken
to be associated, affiliated, sponsored
or owned by offers4u’s creator or distributors.
The provision of information
and solution is the one and only intent.
Hi. I've recently been gutting a pop up on my laptop from "offers4u". I don't know how I got it or how to get rid of it. It's driving me crazy. There is a link to a site that wants me to download an uninstall program by I don't trust it. Has anyone got any suggestions?
- What Offers4u pops up for?
- Is Offers4u virus/scam?
- How dangerous is Offers4u?
- How can I remove Offers4u?
The Purpose of Offers4u Popup
Some PC users might consider that Offers4u popup do offers some discounts or bargains while the majority sees another way. They don’t believe that Offers4u really gives real offers but to bombard PC users with products by relentless popping up various ads to ruin surfing experience. By constantly popping up on a single machine, Offers4u manages to intercept traffic without knowledge; by bombarding users with products, Offers4u is capable of promoting potential business. The more products being sold via its advertising platform, the more money it gets; the more traffic it intercepts, the more popular it becomes and thus the more cooperative ties can be achieved.
to publish products to as many PC users as possible, Offers4u adopts JS technique and backdoor program to record online whereabouts so as to allow its maker to access such information for the analysis of people’s searching preference and thus for the decision as to where to put its own codes to access more people and what to publish to certain PC user for business promotion. Such behavior is allowed by law and in this industry; however, combined with other flaws found from Offers4u, such behavior can be potentially dangerous.
Are What Offers4u Offers Real?
Based on its size and the way it displays itself, we can clearly categorize it as adware. It serves as an advertising platform to publish products. As we have learned that the ultimate goal of Offers4u is money, it won’t filter out the best products for you, which is one of the potential dangers the adware brings to you (will explain in the next section), therefore, it is hard to tell if what Offers4u offers are real or not. But at least, Offers4u by itself is not a scam or a virus.
Not being a virus, how Offers4u is able to stick to a machine? BHO and JS techniques have been long told to be employed in building a website and the like. With slight modifications, Offers4u will be enabled to preload into startup configuration and modify DNS settings to achieve permanent stay.
How Dangerous Can Offers4u Be?
Some potential dangers have been mentioned here and there. Herein, let’s come to a conclusion.
- There are numerous adware like Offers4u working to promote online business – no fine work will be employed as what its maker wants is getting money within short period of time; thus bug can be unveiled easily to be capitalized by virus.
- Offers4u owns wide coverage with loose structure – this can make Offers4u one of the targets by virus as once the adware is attacked successfully, the virus could affect many more computers in minutes.
- Offers4u adopts backdoor, BHO and JS technique with loose structure – as soon as Offers4u is captured by virus, the backdoor program will be utilized in allowing unsolicited access from unknown third party, BHO technique will be used in preloading codes without too much interference and JS technique will be used to record any in-put information.
- Offers4u cooperates with other web applications – additional web applications will be detected to install on the machine without knowledge; to make itself popular as quickly as possible and to promote business, Offers4u will cooperate with other web applications; to achieve win-win, it will install other web applications in the process; this could leave little CPU for normal operation, especially the full play of installed security service.
Manual Thread On Removing Offers4U
1. Reset browser settings.
Tools menu > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Restore Defaults button > OK.
Firefox button > Help > Troubleshooting information > ‘Reset Firefox’ button.
‘Customize and Control Google Chrome’ menu > ‘Options’ > ‘Under the Hood’ > ‘Reset to Defaults’ button.
Show hidden files and folders (explicit instruction shown in Step5) > navigate to "C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\" > remove Operapref.ini.
Safari menu > ‘Reset Safari’ > tick all given options > ‘Reset’ button.
2. Enable pop-up blocker to stop Offers4u from popping up.
Tools > Options > Privacy tab > “Block pop-ups” > stop offers4u from popping up.
Tools > Options > Web features button > block offers4u from popping up.
Tool menu > Options > “Under the Hood” tab > “Content Settings” > “Pop-ups” > “Exceptions” > rule out offers4u popup.
Opera’s menu > “settings” > “Preference” > General tab > “Pop-up” > “Block Unwanted Pop-ups” > OK button.
“Safari” > “Preference”>“Security” tab > check “Block pop-up windows".
3. End offers4u's running process.
For Windows users
Access Task Manager > View > select columns > tick "PID" and "Path name" > go to open up System Information > end the process with path name directing to offers4u's path.
|select columns to help end the processes related to offers4u correctly|
For Mac OS X users
Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor > click open the suspected processes > "Open ports and files" > end the process with path name directing to offers4u's path.
|access Activity Monitor to end offers4u's processes|
4.Remove all the Temp files under the following directories.
Click open ‘Control Panel’ > search for ‘Folder Options’ > tap View tab > tick ‘Show hidden files and folders' and non-tick 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)’.
Start screen > open any folder > open Windows Explorer > select View tab > Tick ‘File name extensions’ and ‘Hidden items’ options.
- navigate to the following directories and remove all the files and folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File
- remove the items generated on the day when offers4u firstly appears under the following listed items:(tip:
1. the below directories can be different on other system
2. to locate the related items, one should find out the ones were created on the day when offers4u was firsly detected.)
To show the date, one should:right click on the space of a window that is under inspection > select "Arrange by" > select "day")
show the date of the items related to offers4u
%Program Files%\Common Files\
Mac OS X
Finder > Utilities folder > terminal:
|access Mac's Terminal to remove the temp files generated by offers4u|
cd ~/Library/Logsand press Return button.
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Safari/Downloads.plistand press Return button.
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*
Offers4u popup can get onto a machine along with some third-party programs, especially the ones that need to be advertised. It is hard to tell if a third party program would bring in Offers4u, therefore, using extra attention when surfing on the Internet cannot sometimes eradicate the chances of getting some unwanted programs. Besides, web applications like Offers4u that cannot be coped with by anti-virus programs, VilmaTech Online Support recommends to update the related knowledge regularly so as to become capable of carrying out manual method and taking them down.